During our franchise a significant amount has been achieved to reduce the environmental impact of our business, including:
- achieving the ISO14001 environmental certification
- recycling 97.7% of the waste generated, and we're working towards zero waste to landfill
- introducing bike storage facilities at many stations to encourage customers to opt for greener travel plans
- reducing our energy consumption by improving how we light our stations, thus using less electricity
- publication of a 2015 Sustainability Report
- read our Environmental and Energy policy here
We're aiming to do even more, and have introduced an Environment and Energy Manager to help us further improve our environmental performance, including gaining further ISO certifications. And, our senior teams keep it high on the agenda with regular meetings to track progress.
Future activity in the area includes:
- development of a Sustainability strategy, recognising governmental and industry body standards (Department for Transport & Rail Safety Standards Board) including the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) and going beyond.
- a feasibility review to identify and understand the impact of potential implementation of a Driver Advisory Service (DAS)
- undertaking efficiency audits through working with strategic partners
- agreeing and delivering energy efficient targets, through introducing Site Energy Action Plans
We'd love to hear your suggestions about this area, please contact us