Why visit London?
Fizzing with energy and excitement, London is one of the most dynamic cities on earth. Admire grand landmarks up close, including Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Tower Bridge, the world’s most famous bridge. Be entertained by the theatres and street performers of Covent Garden, or hang out in the trendy bars and restaurants of Shoreditch. With 2,000 years of history to draw from, there’s plenty to discover.
Best things to do in London
- witness Buckingham Palace’s Changing the Guard ceremony for a taste of patriotic British tradition
- pose with modern waxwork celebrities at Madame Tussauds for fantastic selfies
- visit world-class museums for free, including the Tate Modern art gallery, British Museum, and Science Museum
- learn about the grim legends of 11th century fortress the Tower of London
- delve into the scary world of Sweeney Todd and Jack the Ripper.
- dine at one of 17,000 restaurants
- see a show at one of 240 theatres. Pick up discount theatre tickets at the TKTS stall in Leicester Square
London walking guide
Discovering Thames-side attractions by foot - A family-friendly walk along the riverbank
The 1951 festival of Britain breathed new life onto London's South Bank area, as exciting performance venues sprung up. Today, both sides of the river are tree lined and packed with entertainment spaces, suitable for all ages. Several Bridges - some pedestrian only - conveniently link the banks. Allow about an hour and ten minutes to complete this 5.4km walk, or if you plan to visit all the recommended attractions set aside at least half a day.
Download the London walking guide
Link to location walk on Google maps: http://bit.ly/2kHHeir