How to save money
top tips for buying train tickets
Here's our guide to help you save money when travelling by train:
- book early and get cheaper standard and first class advance tickets
- Advance tickets; available up to 12 weeks ahead, hurry they can sell out fast!
- travel when quieter - go Off-Peak (generally after 9.30am) for the cheapest on the day tickets and less busy trains. Weekends are entirely off-peak!
- choose the right ticket - book Advance tickets for serious savings, or Off-Peak tickets for extra value and flexibility
- save 1/3 on group travel - 3-9 adults travelling together get a GroupSave discount
- singles can beat returns - two Advance singles can be cheaper than a walk-up return
- save 1/3 with a Railcard - for yourself, your family or friends and save plenty!
- Book your tickets on our website to avoid any booking fees, and collect at the station within 15 minutes
- travelling by bus and train? Get discounted bus travel with a Plusbus ticket - unlimited bus travel on participating operators' services
- save on parking with a 5% discount at most of our car parks when you book online
- 2for1 offers on 100s of attractions - see our widest range of discounted days out when you travel by train